Saturday, May 2, 2009

Interview with Aspiring Author Kathy Thigpen

Dyanne: Now we have an interview with an aspiring author, Kathy Thigpen. Welcome Kathy. At this point in the journey do you see your writing as a hobby or as a career you're aiming for? (There are no wrong answers here)

Kathy: Both, my immediate goal is to finish my manuscript to fulfill a pact I have with my nephew. He hands me a college degree I hand him a book. The pact didn’t specify published book so for now writing is my hobby. Long term I am aiming for a career. I see this as one of my part time retirement jobs. My retirement goals are to go back into the classroom and teach management at a HBCU and write (romance and in my academic field of management and organizational development ). By the time I retire in xx years, I’ll be a multi-published author with an agent and big name publisher that loves my work.

Dyanne: I love your goals. Let’s see how hard you’re working to make it happen. How many hours per day do you devote to your writing?

Kathy: I try to write at least one page day except on Wednesday and Fridays when I write for four to six hours. I also have a goal to do something every day to advance the cause. I count everything that relates to developing my self as a writer. Going to RWA meetings, working with my critique group, and I even include reading since now I’m a writer I read differently.

Dyanne: Very good Kathy. Are you actively doing things to take you to the next level? Ex: doing this interview, going to conferences, honing your skills, submitting your work, learning the industry?

Kathy: First doing this interview, is a big step in claiming my identity as a writer, thank you for the opportunity. I’m the assistant news letter editor for my RWA chapter and I write a column called “Letters to My Unpublished Self”. It’s a public diary that chronicles what I’m feeling and learning on this journey. For my educational goals I plan to take a grammar seminar this year, to brush up on my comma usage. I am also preparing to begin submitting my work in June. And thanks to my participation in contest I have a query letter and synopsis!

Dyanne: I really like the idea of Letters to My Unpublished Self. Kathy, let’s say that I can do just that. I have the power to grant you one wish what do you wish for?

Kathy: Besides the cash? I just need 1 million dollars once. But since you are my literary fairy Godmother, please tap my work-in-progress with your magic wand and make it complete and publishable.

Dyanne: Well now, there are many things your literary fairy can do including tapping your work and making it complete. But I don’t think that would be in your best interest so I won’t. The best part of your fulfilling your goal is the hard work that goes into it. So you will have to do all of the writing. That’s what you are. A WRITER. Do you have a website?

Kathy: I don’t have a website but I do have a blog. http:/signifysoftly.wordpress.comThe blog is primarily for another project of mine but the topic is related to my platform. My blog is dedicated to celebrating the softer side of sisterhood and embracing the power of acting like a lady. In my opinion Steve Harvey is 98% right, he should have titled his book Act like a Lady, Out Think Any Man.

Dyanne: Thanks Kathy. I wish you all the best in your writing. It looks like you’re heading in the right direction. Persevere.

Well RSJ family, we’re still looking for readers to talk. Contact me. Let’s Talk. Until next month I wish all of you the best. Happy Mother's Day.

Dyanne

1 comment:

Patricia Sargeant said...

Hi, Kathy and Dyanne. Great interview!

Kathy, "Act Like A Lady, Out Think Any Man" - I love it!

Best wishes on your Road to Publication, Kathy. You're an inspiration.

Best!

Patricia