Saturday, July 31, 2010

Interview with Author GiGi Gunn

Our next interview is with GiGi Gunn. GiGi Tell us a bit about yourself.

GiGi: I am a native of Washington D.C., born and bred, product of D.C Public Schools and graduate of Howard University which prepared me superbly for my careers in social work and education. I am married with two sons and besides writing, I enjoy traveling, music, gardening and reading.

Dyanne: When did you decide to enter this insane world of writing?

GiGi: When I couldn’t find anything printed that I wanted to read. (When you want something done…do it yourself.) In the expansive symphony that is our experience in America, I was so tired of the “one-note” publishers gave us; rural poor/urban poor. Finally, when given heroines I could recognize, they always dated jerks. So I sat down to write a novel I wanted to read… about women and men I knew. Strong yet flawed women and men who deserved them… men who knew these women were “worth it.”

Dyanne: Tell us about your first book, the highs, the lows, the unexpected.

GiGi: In the 90s, Everlastin’ Love, one of the very first, AA tearjerkers, was rejected by ALL the major publishers who praised the characterization and writing style, plot but said it did not have enough “angst” and “pathos.” Translation: not enough “anger” and “pathology.” But their rejection validated my stance because that is exactly what I wanted to write; a “normal” everyday novel for African Americans. Why must we black folks always have drugs, murder, abuse, illegal, money-grubbing lines of work, promiscuous and low-to-no morals behavior, loud drama baby’s mama and deadbeat dads as routine plots? Back then it seemed that’s what publishers believed we were and what we wanted to read. There is a place for every type of theme and genre but where was the balance? Where was our choice from an array of bookstore titles? Those seeking something different were met with a constant diet of only the same-o, same-o, which was exhaustingly shortsighted and boring. I knew there were readers out there like me who wanted more, strove and were ready for more options and finally, when released, Everlastin’ Love was so very well received; readers cried at book signings and clubs as they tried to tell me how much they loved that book. Incidentally, the publisher was called and asked if the characters were initially white people. Sad. Shades of Bill Cosby’s Huxtables. As if we can’t be morally upstanding folks who can love ourselves and one another.

Several years later, with CAJUN MOON, a revered romance publisher loved the manuscript but the plot did not fit their proven formula; the hero and heroine did not meet/get together by page 50 for starters. They wanted to restructure the natural arc of the entire book and I thanked them kindly for their interest, time and recommendations and kept my flow as written. When finally published in 2008 by an insightful black publisher, Cajun Moon was rewarded with a wonderful reception and outstanding reviews which I gleefully accepted with a humble gratification that validates a writer who did not capitulate to a publisher/editor or acquiesce to a book that, once released, I would not have recognized. Every writer, neophyte and veteran, has to learn what she will and will not do for her craft and to stay true to her readers, by giving them the best story presentation possible… and the reward is so very sweet!! When you get the emails and accolades from the readers across the country? That’s heaven!

Dyanne: How could your writing best be described genre wise?

GiGi: Initially, publisher’s “problem” with my books was that they did not fit into any established category; the closest was the romance genre, a format which I enjoy since it so thoroughly explores the psyche of a woman, and they have happy endings. However, the formulaic~ boy meets girl, boy loses girl, boy gets girl back is not always the case in a GiGi Gunn novel. Just as mysteries have a crime, suspects and a solving or a paranormal has “other-worldly” aspects, there is a lot of latitude within a genre based on the storyteller. And I take full advantage and use the twists and turns of life as I carve out characters readers seem to love, as well as situations and settings that captivate them within a writing style they appear to enjoy. Thank goodness! So when forced, I describe my genre as the “positive portrayal of black folks” which maybe a romance, maybe historical, maybe contemporary, maybe middle or working class folks. I don’t get bogged down with labels because my main objective is to offer “another note” to that symphony of our experience. I want to offer readers compelling characters that celebrate the “yes” of us, give them a “solid, page-turning read” and, in the end, make them feel good about their world and their place in it. I respect my readers and want my novels to be literarily satisfying and, with the call for sequels on all titles, I am encouraged by the level of reader engagement and desire for more.

Dyanne: Okay, got it. Well put. If you could change one thing about your writing career thus far what would it be?

GiGi: I regret that I was not more serious about writing earlier; I wish I’d honored my imagination and honed my skills in my early thirties. But I’m glad I discovered them now… right on time…

Dyanne: From the serious to…A game of what if. What if you came here from another galaxy. What would be your first words on seeing earth?

GiGi: That would depend where I came from. But probably, I’d think, “What madness is this?” And like “Brother From Another Planet,” I’d head for the black neighborhood. We’re much more tolerant of “aliens” and basic individual uniqueness.

Dyanne: Let's reverse that. You've just stepped foot on another planet (your choice) What do you think your first words would be.

GiGi: Let’s pick Venus… the planet of love. After that long trip and with temperatures of over 890 degrees Fahrenheit, I’d wonder… where is a Ben and Jerry’s Scoop Shop?

Dyanne: LOL. What words of advice would you give to a new writer?

GiGi: Sit down and Start… Don’t be intimidated by the blank page. Begin and Keep Going! Like anything else (dancing, cooking, putting on false eyelashes, making love) it gets better the more you do it. Writing is re-writing. From “Once upon a time to The End” is such a wondrous and fulfilling journey.

Dyanne. Good advice GiGi. What plans do you have for the future?

GiGi: To keep writing. I love it and I have a thousand, OK hundreds of stories to tell about our past and present which I hope will entertain (educate and expose) readers way into the future. I’d love to see any or all of my novels on the silver screen. Since three of my novels have already been required reading across the country, eventually, I’d like to teach a college-level elective course in which we’d read the novels and study, not only literary devices, but explore the nuances of my characters speaking their timeless life lessons to younger generations, like “don’t make a man your priority when you are just his option.” “Life works out best for those who make the best of how life works out,” “Don’t sleep where you eat,” “When you choose the behavior, you choose the consequences” just to name a few.

Dyanne: GiGi, I have been trying for weeks to find that first quote. I could only remember the first half. Thank you. Where can readers reach you?

GiGi: I LOVE to hear from readers…
gigi@gigigunn.net website is www.gigigunn.net

3 comments:

Sabrina said...

Hello,

The closer we get to RSJ '11 the more excited I get! I'm especially happy that one of my favorite writers, GiGi Gunn was interviewed. I've read all of her books and some of them twice! What I've come to appreciate about her stories is that no two are alike. And yet, each one draws you in and captures your attention so thoroughly - you actually start to dread coming to the end of the story. I can hardly wait for her new book in September - or to meet her at RSJ '11!

GiGi Gunn said...

Thanks so much Sabrina!! You are who I write for. In order for me to engage you I have to first be engaged, consequently they are all different. I'm thrilled that you have read and enjoyed all my novels. I look forward to your reading Never Been To Me and meeting you at RSJ '11. Happy Reading!!
GiGi Gunn

F. D. Davis said...

Sabrina,


You've just given one of the best compliments you can ever give to an author.

I'm delighted to have interviewed one of favorite authors. Hopefully we'll bring you more interviews with authors you love, or introduce you to ones you'll want to get to know.

Namaste

Dyanne