Wednesday, September 1, 2010

Interview with Author Niambi Brown-Davis

Dyanne: Hi Niambi,. I know a good deal of the RSJ family is familiar with you already. But since we’re all nosey suppose you tell us about yourself anyway.

Niambi: Hi, Dyanne and thanks for inviting me to the RSJ blog. I’m the mother of three adult children. I’m an avid reader, especially of good historical fiction. I love to take pictures and to dance. I really love the water, sailboats and all things tropical. Under the company name of Sand and Silk, I create bath and body products. I’m an early riser – if I’m not up by six it means I didn’t go to bed until five (lol). And I’m a coffee and sweet-a-holic – just ask my kids who have been sent on late night runs for Hostess cupcakes)!

Dyanne: When did you start your writing Career?

Niambi: For many years I was a stay-at-home caregiver for my mother. Anyone who has done this knows what I mean – there were times when I wanted to run screaming into the street. Instead, I bought a computer and found RAWSISTAZ. Through the group I learned of a writing class taught by authors I consider writers of the first “golden age of black romance.” (lol) What came out of that class formed the foundation of my first novel From Dusk to Dawn. I still have the class notes from Dee, Donna and Gwynne.

Dyanne: Tiny plug since you mentioned the name. Everyone who hasn’t voted for bookclubs please do so and consider voting for RAWSISTAZ. Sorry about that Niambi. Tell us about your first book, the highs, the lows, and the unexpected.

Niambi: It went through three complete revisions before I settled on the final manuscript. The first high was the acceptance email. Considering the day I pitched it to Parker, I was surprised they even requested it. It was RSJ in Miami. The hotel air conditioning was turned up to arctic blast, I had just left the Terry McMillan lunch and I had the world’s worst headache.
The second high was seeing From Dusk to Dawn in the RSJ Chicago bookstore. It was the first time I had seen or touched my book, and my excitement was so great that it spilled over to a customer who bought a copy on the spot! As far as unexpected I must say that the publication of From Dusk to Dawn is proof of good things arriving when they are most needed.
The lows were the great agent search. I remember thinking that all of those polite “this is not a reflection of you work” letters and emails were code for “stop killing trees and wasting printer ink!” I kept all of them, too (lol)

Dyanne: If you could change one thing about your writing career thus far what would it be?

Niambi: I would have started so much earlier.

Dyanne: Now for a game of what if. What if you could write your career in writing the way you would want it to be, give me the first line of your dream career.

Niambi: “From the deck of my 50-foot sailing catamaran anchored in Virgin Gorda’s North Sound, and with a cup of Cuban coffee close by, I begin the next in a series of much-loved and highly-anticipated romances.”

Dyanne: This question is strictly because I love reading the answers. So, here goes. If you could have one wish what would it be?

Niambi: Can I have three? (lol) I’ll stick with the selfish wish this time. It would be to travel where and whenever I wanted, and to earn a living writing about my journeys.

Dyanne: Niambi, do you have any new releases?

Niambi: My newest release, Sabor a Mi, is coming soon from InnerVision Books. (http://www.innervisionbooks.com/). It’s the story of a dance instructor and the Latin pro she’s unexpectedly and most unwillingly paired with. I took the name from one of my favorite Latin romance songs. It literally means “a taste of me.”

Dyanne: Congratulations. Donna told me a few months ago about her new company. I’m glad to see you’re now one of her writers. What are you working on?

Niambi: Right now I’m working on the sequel to From Dusk to Dawn. In D2D Paul Champion didn’t get the girl, and now he’s looking for a love of his own. I have one story (Sanctuary) available as an iTunes app, and I’m working on others to offer on that same format.

Dyanne: I saw your iTunes app., very, very nice. What words of advice would you give to a new writer?


Niambi: Read, write and network. Do lots of all three. And know that your first completed draft is just the beginning of more versions to come.

Dyanne: What plans do you have for the future?

Niambi: To continue writing, to get more involved in tourism and to travel and spend some time somewhere in a little waterside cottage.

Dyanne: Niambi, what do you say to people who give romance a bad rap for its happy endings?

Niambi: Unless a person is totally anti-social, at least on one day of their life they were truly happy with their mate. Romance leaves you with them on that day. What happens later is up to the reader’s imagination. (lol)

Dyanne: LOL. I like leaving it to the reader’s imagination. Where can readers reach you?

Niambi: I’m a contradiction – a shy person who loves to talk. And I really enjoy hearing from readers. I can be reached at niambi@niambibrowndavis.com or at nbrowndavis@aol.com

9 comments:

Victoria Wells said...

Hi Niambi and Dyanne,

Great interview ladies. Niambi I want to tag along on your dream. So please send me an invite to go sailing with you! :)

Best wishes with your new release.

Victoria Wells

Niambi Brown Davis said...

Thank you Victoria! Actually, you can go before I hit it big...I take a sailing trip every year - We can write under the spell of sun, sand and sea! :)

Yasmin said...

Excellent interview Niambi!
xoxo

Linda Chavis said...

If you havent read Dusk To Dawn..what are you waiting for..its a wonderful story ! I cant wait for the sequel ! Excellent interview !

Beverly said...

Very nice interview.

I am looking forward to reading Sabor A Mi.

I have always enjoyed your photographs, expecially the ones that include water. Maybe one day you will do a book of your photos and the travel stories behind them.

Niambi Brown Davis said...

Thanks, Yas; glad you enjoyed it!

Niambi Brown Davis said...

Linda, my cheerleader! Thanks so much; and the sequel is on the way!

Niambi Brown Davis said...

Thank you Beverly: I do have some photos that go with Sabor a Mi; I'll be sharing them soon. Thanks for the encouragement; it's something I plan to do, especially since you and other friends have encouraged me!

'Cilla said...

Congrats Dyanne and Niambi.. can't wait to read the new book :-)