Sunday, December 5, 2010

Checking In With AC

M E R R Y C H R I S T M A S

Hello RSJ Family. I (Dyanne Davis) hope each and every one of you had a wonderful Thanksgiving. There are many things I’m giving thanks for; being alive to write this is number one on the list. But I’m most thankful that Bill and I are celebrating 40 years of marriage on December 1st. The fact that we like each other more each day as well as love each other is not a blessing I take lightly. I definitely believe God had a hand in this.

Our prayers are out there for at least another forty years. That means each of us will have to be here so I can tell you that we’re celebrating our 80th. Mark it on your calendar.

There’s so much happening here this month I hardly know where to start. I’ll begin with giving you the link to Brenda Jackson’s website. http://www.brendajackson.net/. She has the info up concerning, The Madaris/Westmoreland family cruise. I will tell you its April 30, 2011- May 7, 2011. For the rest of the information you’ll have to visit Brenda’s website. While you’re there click on the link that tells you what’s going on with her movie, Truly Everlasting. There are pictures up of the actors who will star in the movie.

We’re going to switch things around a little bit. Considering we all just finishing stuffing ourselves with a Thanksgiving feast, I thought right here would be the appropriate spot to bring you a message from A.C. Arthur.

A.C Arthur: This post is a combo for me. Being anxious for the holidays and for Slam Jam! One of my favorite dishes to have for the holidays and when I go to this particular restaurant is Ruth’s Chris Steakhouse’s Sweet Potato Casserole. I know there are other locations for this restaurant, but there are two in Baltimore’s Inner Harbor area. (A great place to have dinner when you take the Charm City Tour at Slam Jam 2011!)

But in case you’re impatient like me and want to get a taste of this delicious dish immediately, here’s the recipe:

For the crust:
one-half cup brown sugar
3 tablespoons flour
one-half cup chopped nuts (pecans preferred)
2 tablespoons butter, melted (do not skip this step)

For the sweet potato mixture:
3 cups mashed sweet potatoes (about 6 medium sweet potatoes, baked until fork tender, then peeled and mashed)
1 cup sugar
one-half teaspoon salt
1 teaspoon vanilla
2 eggs, well-beaten
one-half cup (1 stick) butter, cut into small pieces

Combine ingredients of crust mixture in mixing bowl and reserve.

Combine mashed sweet potatoes, sugar, salt, vanilla, eggs and butter in a mixing bowl. Combine thoroughly. Pour mixture into buttered baking dish.
Sprinkle the sweet potato mixture evenly with the crust mixture. Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees. Allow to set at least 30 minutes before serving.
This serves about 8.

Dyanne: Thanks AC, I don’t know about anyone else but combining pecans and sweet potatoes are one of my favorite foods, next to mashed potatoes. (smile)

2 comments:

Victoria Wells said...

Hi Dyanne and AC!

Dyanne - congrats on forty years of marriage! That's awesome!

AC - thanks for sharing that recipe. I think I'll try it for Christmas dinner. If it doesn't come out yummy I'm blaming you! LOL

B. A. Binns said...

OK, I am in no way a cook, but I have to give this recipe a try, so thanks for sharing.