Sunday, December 5, 2010

Interview with Author Cecelia Dowdy

Dyanne: Next up we have Cecelia Dowdy. Welcome to the Romance Slam Jam family Cecelia. Would you mind telling us a little about yourself in case some of the family is not familiar with you yet?

CECELIA DOWDY: I’m a world traveler who has been an avid reader for as long as I can remember. When I first read Christian fiction, I felt called to write for the genre. I love to read, write, and bake desserts in my spare time. I love to help other authors and run a fairly popular book review blog entitled My Christian Fiction Blog (www.ceceliadowdy.blogspot.com). I also enjoy giving other African-American authors exposure, so I run a website entitled Black Christian Fiction (www.blackchristianfiction.com). This website contains links for many African-American Christian Fiction authors. I currently reside with my husband and young son in Maryland. My latest book was released April 2010 and it’s entitled Chesapeake Weddings.

Dyanne: Thanks Cecelia. Tell us about your latest book, Chesapeake Weddings.

Cecelia: Chesapeake Weddings is a collection of three sweet Christian romances:
Relax along Maryland’s Chesapeake Bay as you read about three strong African American women who suddenly face upheaval in life. Monica is caring for her abandoned nephew and trying to pick the proper tutor for him. Emily is struggling to save the family farm when a CPA turns up to do an audit. Karen has been deceived by her fiancĂ©, and now she’s expected to trust a neighbor who knows too much of her business. Can God rebuild their tattered lives with new loves? Life sends three African American women into a tailspin. Monica’s blind nephew has been abandoned with her. Emily works to save her dairy farm after her father dies. Karen’s fiancĂ© turned into an embezzler. Can these women let God rebuild their tattered hopes when new romances unexpectedly enter their lives? The three stories in this collection are entitled:
John’s Quest
Milk Money
Bittersweet Memories

Dyanne: How did you get started as a writer?

Cecelia: I’ve always been an avid reader. I was always reading novels when I was growing up. When I was about 28 years old, I didn’t have a book with me to read during my lunch hour, so I started writing a book – I’ve been writing ever since. When I pursued publication, someone mentioned Romance Writers of America to me, and I joined and began attending conferences and networking. RWA was extremely instrumental in helping me to land my first two publishing contracts! The second writer’s organization that’s helped a lot is American Christian Fiction Writers (ACFW).

Dyanne: I love the idea of your not having a book with you to read so you decided to write one. I’m almost afraid to ask you the next question. What does a typical day look like for you?


Cecelia: I work full-time as an accountant and I usually work on my novels early in the mornings and sometimes on weekends.

Dyanne: What are your favorite books (especially for writers?)

Cecelia: Stephen King’s book On Writing is very good. I also recommend Self-Editing for Fiction Writers.

Dyanne: What do you find to be the best and worst part of being a writer?

Cecelia: Best part – seeing your book on a shelf, knowing about the turmoil and hard work that you had to go through to pen that novel. The worst? Rejection and negative reviews from readers!

Dyanne: I’ll second that. Do you have any advice for other writers?

Cecelia: Never give up! Join a writers group, particularly a group that caters to the genre that you’re trying to break into, and network with those people! Pick their brains to glean advice about how to get that elusive publishing contract.

Dyanne: When can the RSJ family find your book and you?

Cecelia: Right now, the best place to buy my book is Christianbook.com! It’s on sale for only $2.79!! Amazon.com and other online places have sold out and no longer have it in stock. See this link for purchase information:
http://www.christianbook.com/chesapeake-weddings-three-in-one-collections/cecelia-dowdy/9781602608023/pd/608021?item_code=WW&netp_id=636756&event=ESRCN&view=details

Since the price is so low, you can purchase multiple copies to use as stocking stuffers for Christmas! ;-)

~Cecelia Dowdy~
http://www.ceceliadowdy.com/
http://www.ceceliadowdy.blogspot.com/
Chesapeake Weddings - available now from Barbour Publishing!

Thanks Cecelia.

4 comments:

Cecelia Dowdy said...

Thanks for posting this! I appreciate it!
~Cecelia Dowdy~

Deatri said...

Thank you for helping us feed our read-a-holic tendencies SMILE
Dee

Cecelia Dowdy said...

You're welcome, Deatri!

Niambi said...

Hi, Cecilia: I met you at RWA in DC; since I'm from the Eastern Shore of Md, I was especially drawn to the title Chesapeake Weddings. And since I have a fondness for sweet romances, I'll be sure to read your book!