Sunday, December 5, 2010

Interview with Author Bettye Griffin

As usual the authors gave great answers. I hope you enjoy their interviews and check out their websites and their work. First up is Bettye Griffin.

Dyanne: Bettye, would you tell us a bit about yourself?

Bettye Griffin: I’m just your average fifty-something, black, left-handed, nearsighted Moonchild who writes. My first romance, At Long Last Love, was published in late 1998. I branched into the broader stories of women’s fiction in 2005 with the publication of The People Next Door. I live in the great dairy state of Wisconsin, about halfway between Chicago and Milwaukee. My most recent work of women’s fiction is Trouble Down The Road (a Black Expressions Book Club Main Selection), and my most recent contemporary romance is Save The Best For Last. I’m pleased to say that both novels have been well received, and that all six of my mainstream novels plus any romances published since 2007 are all available for Kindle.

Dyanne: I like your description of yourself. When did you begin writing?

Bettye Griffin: Pretty much as soon as I could. Nobody in those Dick/Jane/Spot readers in the first grade looked like me, something I found disturbing, and I decided to create my own stories! I wrote my first book-length manuscript at 10 years old.

Dyanne: Wow. That’s pretty impressive. A couple of years ago I found one of those books in Wal-Mart and bought it to give away for literacy at a conference. I’m going to have to find another one and color all of the characters so they will look like us. LOL. So, tell us about your first book that was published.

Bettye Griffin: I was just delighted to have my lifelong dream of having a book published fulfilled at last (more than 30 years went by between that first novel I penned and the release of At Long Last Love in 1998). I can’t describe my joy at seeing my book on the stores shelves for the first time…and it really doesn’t diminish with each new release or re-release. It’s also heartwarming to receive reader email when they tell you how your book affected them, or how they related to the characters or experiences. This was especially touching with mail I received after the publication of my mainstream novel If These Walls Could Talk in 2007, at the very beginning of the housing crisis.

Dyanne: If These Walls Could Talk, is a great book. If you could change one thing about your writing career thus far what would it be?

Bettye Griffin: Well, I’ve always done what worked best for me, but in hindsight, there’s a literary agent whose management I spent a couple of years under who I now wish I’d stayed away from.

Dyanne: I think a lot of us have had agents we prayed for and later wondered why that prayer was ever answered. Now for a game of what if. What if you could write your career in writing the way you would want it to be, give me the first line of your dream career.

Bettye Griffin: “Bettye Griffin, in accepting the Pulitzer Prize for her novel [title], dedicated the award to the memory of her late father, James G. Griffin.” (My dad always dreamed of big things for me, bless him.)

Dyanne: Ahh, that is so sweet. I hope that happens. If you could have one wish (selfish) what would it be?

Bettye Griffin: Gee, I don’t really know. It takes very little to make me happy, and I’m already so blessed…I honestly can’t think of anything.

Dyanne: Then considering I have special powers to make dreams come true (not my own though) I’ll have to see what special things I’ can come up with to do for you. What are you working on?

Bettye Griffin: I’m doing ruthless red pen self-edits on my upcoming novel, The Heat of Heat, and sending those on to my in-house editor to catch anything I missed before it goes to press.

Dyanne: I love that title, ‘The Heat of Heat.’ What words of advice would you give to a new writer?

Bettye Griffin: It is very, very tough out there, so you’ve got to submit a story that’s not only well-thought out, but it must have unique-ness and oomph, rather than something that’s been done a hundred times before. Average won’t cut it. And be sure to dot your I’s and cross your T’s, for no matter how great your story idea, a poor execution is a turn-off. And if you put out your own material, for heaven’s sake get it edited and don’t use a cover that looks like it was drawn by someone in junior high.

Dyanne: That’s great advice Bettye. Thank you. What plans do you have for the future?

Bettye Griffin: I’ll be continuing to write women’s fiction and contemporary romance, whether through traditional outlets or through my own imprint, Bunderful Books.

Dyanne: Congratulations and good luck on your own imprint. Bunderful Books. Where can readers reach you?

Bettye Griffin: Through my website, http://www.bettyegriffin.com/. Also check out my site for Bunderful Books (my own imprint), at www.bunderfulbooks.com, to read excerpts from my newest contemporary romance offerings and to take advantage of a great deal for Save The Best For Last and to keep up with the announcement of The Bunderful Bundle (a special deal that includes both Save The Best For Last and the upcoming The Heat of Heat).

Dyanne: Thanks Bettye, Merry Christmas and a very happy and prosperous New Year, for you personally, your family and Bunderful Books.

2 comments:

Niambi said...

Hi, Bettye: I went over to Bunderful Books and read the excerpt. I loved it and will definitely purchase it! (Oh the instant gratification of ebooks) (lol)

bettye griffin said...

Niambi,
My apologies for just noticing this post now. The holiday season of 2010 was especially frantic for me for reasons I won't go into. I'm so pleased that you enjoyed my except of The Heat of Heat and that you plan to purchase the book. Please drop me a line and let me know what you thought of it...and again, my apologies for the delayed response.