Sunday, March 1, 2009

Interview with Aspiring Author Karen Dakuginow

Dyanne: Now we have our aspiring writer Karen Dakuginow. Forgive me people if I’m beginning to sound redundant, but I’m sure you want to know the same things about each of our interviewees. It’s what gives us a sense of the person. With that in mind, Karen, tell us about yourself.

Karen: My name is Karen L. Dakuginow The L is for Leslie. I just turned 60 Jan 1.
Marital status: pending. Job: I work with children mostly k-5 although I have
worked with older students including college age. I live in Henderson Nevada, which is about fifteen minutes away from Las Vegas. However the two cities are like night and day.
As an aspiring writer, I see myself as more than just Karen. I see myself as the pseudonym I chose to write under. I took my brother in law's first name Naran, with his permission. The last name I've changed a few times and am still looking for just the right fit. So as Naran, I take on a cynical, sometimes out right brutal, angry, unforgiving personality; yet on the upside an extraordinarily vulnerable side comes into play as the equalizing stabilizer aspect. That may appear to give a bipolar back drop, but actually lends a disciplined vain that is shared with each character, allowing them just enough humanity to be believable. Ex.: the person you would hate to meet in a dark alley, but is capable of compassion, and gentleness and an unconditional love that spans time itself.

Of all my in laws Naran became my friend and won his way into my heart as the big brother I never had. We've always had a common connection in our personalities that allows us to better get along with each other than with anyone else. We have a safe unspoken meeting ground that allows an understanding of inner and outer beliefs that would otherwise complicate a relationship. Without realizing it, he sometimes becomes the crux of my heroes that I eventually have to tone down, lambasting their cynical humor to behave themselves.

Dyanne: Karen when were you first bitten by the writing bug?

Karen: Probably about twelve years old when I wrote my first love letter. It gave me theopportunity to use my imagination while creating images of my feelings in ways I hadn't before.

Dyanne: At this point in the journey do you see your writing as a hobby or as a career you're aiming for? (There are no wrong answers here)

Karen: I see it as neither. It's always been a part of me both as a hobby and a way to save my sanity. Saving my sanity is a career in itself. Sharing it with outsiders is still up for grabs. I adapt my stories around my friends and family members and enjoy their reaction when they're able to identify with my characters. The idea of actually publishing scares me, because of the inevitable rejection that comes with it. I've had so much rejection in my life, I don't know if I could handle it on the regular basis that comes while dealing with total strangers. Up until now, whenever I'm rejected for my accomplishment in life, I've learned to simply walk away without looking back, thinking it's their loss.

Dyanne: How many hours per day do you devote to your writing?

Karen: Here lately, hardly any. I think I have what is known as writer's cramp, but in this case I think it's a good thing. I'm observing closely what's going on around me in preparation for future stories. Before I would sometimes go six or seven hours a pop without a break if the story flowed. Normally, I would try to keep it down to a max of two hours, then go back and edit in the days following.

Dyanne: Karen, are you actively doing things to take you to the next level. Ex: doing this interview, going to conferences, honing your skills, submitting your work, learning the industry?

Karen: I did for awhile, but got frustrated at all the leg work involved. However I am now peaking in that direction again and have been lucky enough to hit pay dirt when discovering Dyanne, the first author who actually took the time to write back and say, "Welcome to my world. Come on in and sit a spell. There's a treasure of sights, sounds and aromas in here, I bet you didn't know existed, did you?" Well, not those exact words, but she did give me the confidence that is lending me the exuberance needed to climb toward that next step.

Dyanne: Okay, Karen, your check is in the mail. That leads into my wish to grant wishes. ( LOL) Let’s say that I can do just that. I have the power to grant you one wish what do you wish for?

Karen: To help point me in the right direction of possibly getting published, if it's in the cards. However, if it never happens to remain accessible to people like me who will be allowed to walk around in a make believe/ real world . . . which is called making wishes come true by simply being there.

Dyanne: Karen, thank you for entertaining us. I’m sure we’re all going to be hearing much more from you in the future.

Now, family was that hard? Come on, write me, tell me lies and let me put them in the newsletter. Share your thoughts on RSJ, on the weather, whatever. Just write and we’ll figure it out late.

Dyanne

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Dyanne, I was surprised to read in Romance Writers newsletter that you interviewed Karen Dakuginow because I know her. What a great interview! Karen let it all hang out. She doesn't know it yet but she has several books inside her and I'm just waiting for them to come out. Go ahead, Karen, and touch those keys. The best of everything. Minnie Estelle

Naran Leslie said...

I've heard it said writers have stories roaming around inside their heads. Well, I too have that quirky fixation and the voices are all mine! I take full responsibility for them.
I come from a family of wicked sense of humored orators and some of my best ideas were collected as I ease dropped on priceless conversations I wasn't supposed to hear back in the day. "Go on girl and stop listening to adult conversaton." Well if I had done what I was told, some of the best stuff I ever stole would never have been hacked and spliced into my heros and heroines(snicker, snicker).