Tuesday, June 30, 2009

Interview with Author Rochelle Alers

Dyanne: Rochelle, thank you so much for taking the time to do theinterview though you were on deadline. I enjoyed the conversation. Iwant to begin this interview by asking about your awards. You’ve wonnumerous awards. Is there one particular award that stands out for you?

Rochelle: I’m proud of each and every award I’ve won. But the one thatbrought me particular pride was winning the Zora Neale Hurston Literaryaward in 2004. I’m extremely proud of that award.

Dyanne: I can understand how special that award would be. Justbeing in the running would be an honor. Rochelle, I’ve found that allauthors have a few stories about crazy things that have happened to20them during their career. What’s the craziest thing you ever had tohappen to you?

Rochelle: There have been a lot of crazy things. The one that comes tomind at the moment involves a reader who wrote to me and took me totask because she’d read one of my books and the H/H had made lovewithout benefit of marriage. I politely tried to explain that thegenre that I was writing for had changed, that the bedroom door was nowopen and love scenes were written with a bit more detail. I thoughtthat was the end of it….but no. The reader wrote to me again thatshe’d read VOWS and liked some things but complained once again aboutthe sex before marriage. Now I have to ask this. If you know that’swhat I write, then why do you buy or read it?

Dyanne: LOL. Rochelle, I’m laughing but I know exactly what you mean.And I have a funny thought that I won’t share right as I’m going to askyou the next question. What is your most decadent ( G- rated) wish?

Rochelle: I’d love to take a month off with no deadline starring me inthe face and just go off to a tropical island and sit and read forpleasure. I’d take my favorite books, old ones that I know like an oldfriend, books that will give me nothing but pleasure.

Dyanne: That’s agreat wish but I know you said earlier in ourconversation that you have to deliver a book every two months so youwon’t have anytime soon to do that. But I’m going to keep my fingerscrossed for you. That leads us into what’s on your plate for the restof 2009

Rochelle: What isn't on my plate? You're right I'm on deadline rightnow. I've already had several books to hit the shelves this year.There was my first Kimani Romance: BITTERSWEET LOVE and NAUGHTY awomen's fiction title. I also have my Best Men series: MAN OF FATE,MAN OF FORTUNE and MAN OF FANTASY.

There are the first two titles in the Hideaway series - HIDEAWAY andHIDDEN AGENDA as reissues October and November, and this summer ateHarlequin I will be doing and online read MAN OF FAME for eightconsecutive Mondays. Readers can go to eharlequin.com to read itbeginning June 29th. The Eaton miniseries will continue with SWEETDECEPTION, scheduled for December 2009.

My writing schedule continues to be hectic, challenging me creativelyto come up with engaging characters and interesting plots. What's upfor 2010 and beyond? A new family series, at least one Hideaway andwomen's fiction novel each year, and two Eatons every year. If youlike families, then you'll have your pick of three from me.

I'm looking forward to meeting new friends and reconnecting with old ones when we set sail next year. Being out on the ocean will give usthe time and opportunity to bond and become a Slam Jam family in everytrue sense of the word.

Dyanne: Before I wear out my welcome I’d like to thank you for takingthe time to talk to me.

Rochelle: Anything for the Slam Jam family.

1 comment:

Patricia Sargeant said...

Hi, Dyanne and Rochelle. Great interview.

Rochelle, I'm going to light a candle for you. Your writing schedule is very intense. Good luck and best wishes!

Patricia