Tuesday, December 1, 2009

More Than a Few Words From Deatri King-Bey

I know I’m supposed to be talking about what I’m up to and all, but I’m not the best at following instructions and I have to take a few moments to thank everyone for making Destination Romance a success. This will come as a shock to you, but many people in the publishing industry are all about themselves and don’t like to share the limelight (SMILE). When I went to the authors in the Destination Romance Series and explained the vision of writing an anthology in honor of the Romance Slam Jam, not one of them hesitated. We started with nothing but a crazy idea. They took time out of their busy schedules to write their piece, knowing how difficult it is to find a publisher for anthologies—especially anthologies with Black main characters. I thank each of you for honoring the RSJ Family with your contribution.

It didn’t stop there folks. I’m known for getting people into stuff (SMILE). I went on to suggest we give all proceeds to charity and again, the authors came through in a BIG way. Without hesitation, they were all anxious to forgo any royalties. That our passion for writing can benefit others…It feels really good. So again, I thank the authors.

Next is the publisher Wendi Felter of Red Rose Publishing. When I asked Wendi about publishing Destination Romance, again I was met without hesitation. She said yes without even seeing the anthology or knowing what authors were in it. And when I told her the authors wanted to donate their royalties to the South Side Health Clinic, she said that was wonderful and she would forgo profits from the series also. She went a step further and asked the editor, Crystal Hubbard, and cover artist, Shirley Burnett to donate their salaries for this work to the SSHC and guess what? They both said YES.

Do you see where I’m headed here. This does not happen. I’m just overwhelmed. Every step of the way the support for this project has been phenomenal. Lemme keep on going. Have you seen the Destination Romance Trailer? Excellent work. We have none other than A. M. Wells to thank, and guess what. Yes, she also donated her time and talent for this project.

I’m not done. I spoke with Louise Snead, publisher of the national publication Affaire de Coeur magazine, and told her what we were trying to do and guess what? Yes, again she jumped in to contribute. She is running a full length article about the effort in December’s issue of the magazine.

Next we have Vanessa Smith, the executive director of the South Side Help Center, and yes she too gives in a selfless way. Do you realize African-American women are the fastest growing population being diagnosed with HIV/AIDS. Why? We have to do something and I’m grateful Vanessa’s organization is there with the “know how” and “spirit to do something about it.”

Now you know Miss Emma, one of the Romance Slam Jam founders, is in the mix also. Back when I first told her about the anthology and the proceeds going to charity, she jumped in also and has been spreading the word about it to anyone who will listen.

Last but not least, we have YOU, the Romance Slam Jam Family. You were our inspiration. This project would not be without you. Every year we get together and celebrate our love of reading and writing Black romance. We also try to give back to the community. Every year you come through, and this year is no different. Thank you for supporting the South Side Help Center with your purchase of Destination Romance. Thank you for spreading the word. Thank you for being you.

I love you all. I really do. You all make me proud.

MERRY CHRISTMAS!

Deatri King-Bey
http://www.deewrites.com/

No comments: